Flashback Friday: The Shot That Shall Not Be Spoken Of


Jan 19 2013; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Butler Bulldogs forward Roosevelt Jones (center) smiles after he was mobbed by fans and teammates after Jones sunk the game-winning shot at the buzzer against the Gonzaga Bulldogs at Hinkle Fieldhouse. Butler won 64-63. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports

But I’m going to talk about it anyways.

This morning, the college basketball world was shocked by the news that Butler guard Roosevelt Jones would be out for the season after tearing ligaments in his left wrist. It is fitting to do a Flashback Friday on the Gonzaga Bulldogs least favorite Butler player, for obvious reason. Sorry Zags fans, this is going to bring back some bad, bad memories.

College Gameday was there to see two of the best mid-major programs in the country rough it out in one of the most historical gyms in the country. Everything indicated that it was going to turn out to be a magical night. Unfortunately for the Zags, the magic did not work in their favor.

The Eighth ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs came into Hinkle Fieldhouse as one of the hottest teams in the country. Mark Few’s Bulldogs had not lost since early December, where the hot shooting of Brandon Paul almost single handedly took down the Bulldogs. On the Butler side of things, leading scorer Rotnei Clarke was still recovering from a head injury, leaving the Bulldogs a little empty handed on the offense side of things.

The game was a back and forth affair. Gonzaga would take the lead, and then Butler would take the lead right back. Butler was helped significantly by guard Kellen Dunham, who hit four out of the eight threes that he took. Chase Stigall was big as well, going 2-3 from beyond the arc. However, it was Roosevelt Jones who was the huge thorn in the Bulldogs side that night. Jones dropped 20 points, grabbed 5 rebounds, dished out 4 assists, recorded 1 steal, and blocked a shot.

The Zags were up 63-62, and after Butler guard Alex Barlow traveled with 3.5 seconds left, a victory seemed imminent. All Gonzaga had to do was inbound the ball and they would have been on the fast track to winning the game. However, that was easier said than done. David Stockton threw the ball over the head of Olynyk, and right into the hands of Butler forward Roosevelt Jones. The remaining 3.5 seconds, are history.