Nov 25, 2013; Kansas City, MO, USA; Brigham Young Cougars forward Eric Mika (00) shoots against Texas Longhorns center Prince Ibeh (44) in the second half at Sprint Center. Brigham Young won the game 86-82. Mandatory Credit: John Rieger-USA TODAY Sports

A Day in Review: WCC Action from 11/25

WCC Day in Review

Due to lack of time, I can’t do an extensive recap on every single game. Instead here is a brief recap of each WCC game that took place tonight.

San Diego 70 Illinois-Chicago 74

San Diego dropped its first game of Gulf Coast Showcase today to Illinois-Chicago by a score of 74-70.

Johnny Dee was the Toreros top point getter with 19, despite shooting only 3 of 13 from the field. Forward Dennis Kramer pulled down 8 rebounds, and Christopher Anderson dished out 5 assists.

Senior Kelsey Barlow paced the Flames of Illinois-Chicago, with 17 points. He also had 7 rebounds and 4 assists on the night.

The Torero’s take on UNC Greensboro tomorrow at 9 a.m. PST (yes, you did read that right).

LMU 68 Vanderbilt 77

The Lions loss a closely fought battle with Vanderbilt, which saw the two team’s trade leads two times throughout the night.

Who else but Anthony Ireland? The senior guard led Loyola Marymount in scoring with 20 points. Gabe Levin’s 5 rebounds was a game high.

The LMU freshmen, something I touched on in the game preview, had a tough time. Evan Payne, Levin, and Nino Jackson shot a combined 6 of 23 from the field (26.1%), and 1 of 10 from 3 (10.0%).

The Lions had no answer for Commodore guard Kyle Fuller, who had 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists in the win. Forward Rod Odum pulled down 8 rebounds for Vanderbilt.

BYU 86 Texas 82

Matt Carlino, Tyler Haws, Frank Bartley IV, Eric Mika, and Kyle Collingsworth accounted for 97.7 percent of the Cougars points in a convincing victory over Texas (the other 2.3% came from Nate Austin’s two points).

Haws’ 25 points was the high for BYU tonight, which was closely followed by Carlino’s 20. Collingsworth grabbed 8 rebounds and Carlino gave out 6 assists to lead Brigham Young in both of those categories.

The Cougars will take on Wichita State at 7:00 p.m. PST for the CBE Hall of Fame Classic Championship.

Gonzaga 84 – Dayton 79

The Bulldogs 16 point lead in the first half withered away quickly due in part to a 35-17 Dayton run over the course of about 9 minutes.

Kevin Pangos was a bright spot with the Bulldogs tonight, with 27 points. Sam Dower Jr. had 18 rebounds and 7 rebounds before fouling out with 3:46 left to go in the 2nd half. Przemek Karnowski and Kevin Pangos also fouled out, making it a huge problem for the Bulldogs.

Jordan Sibert was the leader for Dayton tonight with 23 points, which included 8 of 11 shooting from the field and 5 of 8 from three-point range. Dyshawn Pierre was 1 rebound short of a double-double with 9 rebounds and 15 points.

The Zags play again against Chaminade at 1:30 p.m. PST.

 

 

 

 

Tags: Basketball Brigham Young Cougars BYU BYU Basketball BYU Cougars College Basketball Gonzaga Bulldgos Gonzaga Bulldogs LMU LMU Lions Loyola Marymount Lions MBB San Diego San Diego Toreros WCC West Coast Conference

comments powered by Disqus