Your weekly news and notes on LMU athletics:
- Men’s soccer player Sean Sears joined WCCSports.com for a Google+ hangout last week. You can watch the full interview here. Sears enters his senior year at LMU; he appeared in 19 0f 20 matches and was named as an honorable mention to the All-WCC team.
- CBS Sports called LMU a “sleeper” in its WCC conference catchup. The article also said LMU brings in a “vastly underrated recruiting class.” It will be interesting moving forward to see what the national perception of LMU is for this coming season. The Lions return Anthony Ireland and are coming off of an eye-opening performance at the WCC tournament.
- Some men’s basketball recruiting bites…LMU’s coaching staff offered 2014 forward Zylan Cheatham from Phoenix, Arizona. Cheatham was on an unofficial visit to Washington this past weekend. The staff is also reportedly showing interest in 2014 forward Jacob Hammond from Oklahoma.https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/346999964154597376
- Now that the NBA is officially in its offseason, expect to hear about a number of NBA players roaming around the LMU campus – especially near Gersten Pavillion. Houston Rockets forwards James Harden and Thomas Robinson were reportedly scrimmaging with LMU players last week.
- LMU sophomore basketball player Nick Stover is participating in California’s “Say-No League.” He scored 14 points in one his most recent games.
- Right-handed pitcher Colin Welmon earned an invite to the Collegiate National Team Training Camp last week. He will fight for a spot on the 24-man roster to play for Team USA. Read the full release at LMULions.com.
- Former LMU baseball player Ryan Wheeler is up for vote in the 2013 AAA All-Star game. You can vote for the third baseman here.
- Volleyball head coach Tom Black served as an assistant coach for Team USA in the Pan Am cup. Team USA took home the title in Lima, Peru to capture the title.